Wednesday, 30 July 2008

Coren nation

Just in case you hadn't seen this elsewhere, everyone should see this little insight into the relationship between writers and sub-editors.

Highlights include:

'...worst of all. Dumbest, deafest, shittest of all, you have removed the unstressed 'a' so that the stress that should have fallen on "nosh" is lost, and my piece ends on an unstressed syllable.'

'...I have written 350 restaurant reviews for The Times and i (sic) have never ended on an unstressed syllable. F***. f***, f***, f***.'

I can assure you it's not usually as fractious as this - because most writers aren't as precious as Coren - and as this response from the Sunday Times subs points out, their job is often thankless and involves ploughing through error strewn copy.

I'm sure my new role as content producer (starting on Friday), which requires me to be the last line of defence before copy hits the readers, will put me firmly on the side of the subs!

No comments: