Tuesday, 27 January 2009

Truth on chickens

This is interesting (don't watch the video its a 30 second advert followed by a 10 second clip of Hugh Fernley-Whittingstall throwing a plucked chicken into the air in slow motion) .

I'm no animal rights protester and I think a business has every right to act within the law to provide people who don't care about the upbringing (or consequently taste) of their food with chicken that's as cheap as chips - or should that be cheap as chicken, or maybe 'cheep' as chi... I'll stop there.

But as my main man Hugh points out in C4's 'Chickens, Hugh and Tesco Too' - it is downright deceptive to put a picture of a farmer in a field on the packaging of a chicken that has never seen daylight, let alone a field - even if, as a Tesco PR woman says, 'its reassuring'.

Yes! - it reassures me of my anti-Tesco grocery buying stance (which currently consists of not using Tesco unless it is closer, has the product(s) I'm after cheaper, has less weird people in it or has more convenient opening hours than other nearby supermarkets).

No comments: